Wednesday, July 1, 2015

July Currently


I am so excited to be linking up with Farley from Oh' Boy 4th Grade for this month's currently!

Listening: "Once Upon a Time"
About two weeks ago, I got my wisdom teeth out. Since then, I have been pretty much on bed rest, so I decided to start watching a new TV show, "Once Upon a Time". I hadn't ever been interested in it before, but I LOVE it now! The creativity, the characters, the fairy tales. I can't stop watching it, so yes, I have watched the first four seasons! But, hey, its summer break, right?

Loving: Relaxing
I am loving relaxing on summer break. As I reflect back on my first two-and-a-half years of teaching, I realized that I don't spend enough time on myself. I am always focused on teaching or on my family. I need to make sure that I take time for myself. So, this summer I have been doing a lot of relaxing and I plan on continuing to spend time of me this upcoming school year!

Thinking: Of SRSD Writing
I am taking a couple of online summer classes that are being offered through my state's Board of Education. One of those classes is on SRSD Writing. SRSD stands for Self-Regulated Strategy Development, which is a flexible instructional model for writing that teaches students explicit planning, drafting, and revising strategies that are used by highly skilled writers. The more I learn about SRSD, the more excited I am to use it in my classroom. I am already working on my first SRSD unit, which will be all about narrative writing and the parts of a good story! I'll post more about it soon!

Wanting: To Get Ahead
After two years in fourth grade, I am finally figuring out what I want to see in my classroom and in my teaching. In order to meet those goals, I know that I need to get ahead. My goal this summer is to map out my entire year as well as get the first quarter planned and ready to go in all subject areas. Just one month to get in all done!

Needing: To Do Homework
As I mentioned above, I am taking a couple of online summer classes. I am taking an SRSD Writing class, a Rigor in the ELA classroom class, a Close Reading in the Elementary Classroom class, and a technology class - I am a 1:1 Chromebook class, so it's all about using Google Classroom and Tools.
However, I am a little behind on homework! I better get started soon!

All Star: Reader
I have always loved reading! When I was a child, I would read all the time. As I have grown up, that hasn't changed. I love reading! It is something that has allowed me to connect with so many of my students as I encourage them to read and they encourage me to read! This summer I have read the entire Sisters Grimm series. If you haven't read this or don't have it in your classroom library, I highly suggest you do! It is all about two fairytale detectives. While it might seem like a book for girls, it is also perfect for boys because of the humor and actions of one of the main characters, a male fairy. It is one of my new favorites! My next series is the Secret series by Pseudonymous Bosch - another book recommendation from my students! I am also reading "Learn Like a Pirate", "Word Nerds", and "Notes and Notices" to make my teaching better!

Thank for stopping by! Click below to see what other bloggers are up to this month!







3 comments:

  1. OH my! I disliked getting my wisdom teeth out! I hope you get better quickly!!! I am also a 4th GRADE teacher! I love meeting new people! Great way to meet some awesome teachers! Blessings, Jacqueline- The Little Ladybug Shop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just LOVE marathons- the Netflix kind! Once Upon A Time is next on my Netflix to do list. Can't wait. Don't work too hard on that homework.
    Kim
    learninglaughterandlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about taking more time for yourself. I need to do more of that as well this year. It's just so hard to turn the teacher brain off! And that's great that you can plan a whole quarter like that ahead of time. I have never been good at that. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete